Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Duck Migration at the Churchville Nature Center and Looking for Woodcocks in my Backyard

     As soon as I got home from school, my mom took me to the Churchville Nature Center to have a chance to see and photograph a male Canvasback.  We arrived at the location where all the ducks were being seen at the nature center.  I immediately hopped out of the car and crept up to the water.  The waters edge was covered by Common Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks.  Out farther on the lake was the male Canvasback.  I sat down at the edge of the lake and started to take pictures of all of the duck species. 
Male Canvasback

Male and Female Lesser Scaup

Male Common Merganser

Male Ring-necked Duck
 
 
 
     While I was photographing the Canvasback, two male Hooded Mergansers swam out in front of me showing off their beautiful black and white head plumage. 
Hooded Mergansers

Hooded Mergansers

Hooded Mergansers
 
 
 
     When we got home I had known from past experience that there were American Woodcocks that do their mating dance in my backyard around the beginning of March.  I kept opening my back door and peeking my head out for about five minutes to hear if the Woodcocks were "peenting".  This night I was more confident that I would hear them because I had heard cycles of different bird species calling as I had heard in other successful "Woodcock hunts".  First it was silent, following that, it was incredibly active with sparrows and cardinals chipping.  After that, it would be silent again for about three minutes, and then the first Woodcocks would start peenting.  That night, 3/11/14, I heard the first Woodcock at about 7:18 pm.  It is not always the same exact time, but it is generally always around then.  Soon, they would begin to do their flight display, this I have never seen before, but yesterday I did.  Two Woodcocks would fly up very high and hover inches away from each other for a few minutes.  They would then land back on the ground and start the cycle again. 
     I have never had a chance to photograph them either because it was always dark when they displayed.  But this time I had my brother come out with me with a flashlight.  With that along with the camera flash, I was able to get a pitch black picture with some eye shine.  However, I brightened it on the computer and could successfully see the bird.
American Woodcock

American Woodcock flying away
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment