Sunday, February 23, 2014

Comparing New to Old Camera Lenses

      These are all pictures from my first trip to Barnegat Lighthouse State Park with my old camera lens (Canon 300mm) and from my most recent trip to Barnegat Lighthouse State Park with my new camera lens (Sigma 500mm).  However I had much better lighting on my second trip, the photo quality is still much better.
      The are my two favorite pictures of Harlequin Ducks from the trips.
Harlequin Duck with new lens

Harlequin Duck with old lens
 
 
 
      These next two pictures are of adult male Long-tailed Ducks.  These photos really show the difference in quality of the two lenses.
Long-tailed Duck with new lens

Long-tailed Duck with old lens
 
 
 
      The difference in photo quality of Red-breasted Mergansers was also very evident.  One with the new lens was clear enough to see the serrations on the beak for firmly holding onto fish.
Red-breasted Merganser with new lens

Red-breasted Merganser zoomed in on beak with new lens

Red-breasted Merganser with old lens
 
 
 
      Finally, I saw a large difference in photo quality of the Common Loons.  With my new lens I was able to zoom in on their beautiful red eye and really appreciate it more.
Common Loon with new lens

Common Loon zoomed in on eye with new lens

Common Loon with old lens





No comments:

Post a Comment