Friday, March 14, 2014

Woodcocks During the Day

     After the successful timberdoodling in my backyard for the paste few days, I went out to try and find these incredibly well camouflaged birds during the day so I could get a better picture.  During the day they rarely move, but they let you get very close.  This makes it much harder to see them. 
     Since I knew where they were I headed to the area where they generally had been displaying in the night.  In about five minutes  I came to a clearing in the thicket and stopped to look around.  I looked down a promising deer path surrounded by heavy brush.  I did not see anything so I looked in another direction.  After a minute or two I looked back down the path to see a Woodcock sitting absolutely still in the middle of the path.  I couldn't believe that I was standing only five feet away from an American Woodcock!
American Woodcock

American Woodcock
 
 
 
     After admiring this bird for about twenty minutes before it walked into thicker brush, I brought my mom and little brother out to see it also.  Sadly we did not see this bird.  However we kept looking in other spots and saw another Woodcock bob-walking into the thicket from a field on the other side.  We were lucky enough to see that same Woodcock from the other side of the thicket after it walked into the thicket after seeing it walk into the thicket too.
Second Woodcock behind brush

Second Woodcock sitting down
 
 
 
     After seeing the second Woodcock with my mom and brother, my aunt was lucky enough to have seen it in the same spot.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment