Friday, December 5, 2014

Herping around Home

     On the last day of summer break (9/1/14) I headed to one of my favorite herping places in Bucks County to end with a bang.  I went to a spot that I had known from being there before was very good for Spotted Salamanders.  As soon as I got there, the first rock I flipped turned up a beautiful juvenile Spotted Salamander about 3 1/2 inches long.  I was very happy to have seen it because I had caught it and recorded it's measurements just over half of a month earlier in the summer under the same rock. 
Spotted Salamander

Spotted Salamander
 
 
 
     After retaking its measurements and taking many photos of the first Spotted Salamander, I continued on the path flipping all of the boards, fallen logs, rocks, and other debris I saw.  It was a little while until I flipped the next Spotted Salamander, however I got two under one board. 
Spotted Salamander
 
 
 
     After recording this one and taking photos of it, I headed back toward the parking lot still flipping everything I saw.  On the way back I flipped two Eastern Red backed Salamanders and one more Spotted Salamander.  I also saw a few Green Frogs and Wood Frogs hopping along the trail.  Although there was very little variety, it was still very nice to have seen all of those Spotted Salamanders.



No comments:

Post a Comment